Re: RFS: sshbackup

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 20:54, Joona Kiiski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just finished building my first debian package "sshbackup".
> sshbackup is small perl script I originally wrote for myself to assist
> in backup process. When I got more interested about debian, I decided
> that it was a good exercise to write debian package for it.
>
> Package is lintian/linda/pbuilder clean and I'm looking someone to
> sponsor the package or at least check that package doesn't contain any
> cardinal errors so that I can publish it on my personal webpage.

Hello, the package looks fine to me (the perl code is also clean ;-).

However I noticed that you ship a configuration file with your package and I
guess you want your users to be able to preserve their own configurations
done to that file on upgrades (that is also what debian policy stipulates for
configuration files under /etc). So, you can use dpkg conffiles mechanism[1]
or go for a more complex approach as desribed in debconf-devel(7) manpage[2].
Another way of groking things like that is to explore the ucf package
functionality, but that is the case when you want to provide conffile like
handling for files not shipped in your debian package (for some reason...
e.g. no sane defauts ;-), but handled by the postinst script instead.
In your case the dpkg's conffiles will suffice.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-conffiles.html
[2] install the debconf-doc package

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB