new package with an epoch

hello All;

I am planning ot upload a package which I have been maintaining for a local archive for several years already. I intended to keep the old changelogs as a record of the work that has been done on the package, however there is one problem. During the time I have been packaging this and making it available on my repository, the upstream author changed package versioning in such a way that I had to apply an epoch. Would it be better for me to just drop the old changelogs and the eopch for the first archive upload? I will risk breaking upgrades for the current users (I really don't know how many there are) but it might be cleaner from the Debian point of view.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics