Re: RFS: llk-linux (bug #373754)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:11:54PM +0800, Wei Mingzhi wrote:
> I'm looking for a sponsor for the following package:
Good luck!  As it's in my interest to save the time of actual DDs,
let me help you with the more obvious issues.

> * Package name    : llk-linux
* Of course, the issue I mentioned earlier still stands.  Having
llk_linux as the package and binary name sucks, is redundant and
ugly.  Generally, I would suggest renaming it to "llk", however, for
a GUI-only program, "lianliankan" or "lian-lian-kan" probably would
be better.

* It appears you have a bunch of symlinks to files in
/usr/share/automake-1.9/, yet you don't build-depend on automake-1.9.
You'll need to either add the dependency or replace the symlinks with
actual files.

Once the package is built, let's run lintian on it:

W: llk-linux: binary-without-manpage llk_linux
* The program is GUI-only without any command line, and this is about
the only case where having no manpage is excusable.  And "excusable"
doesn't mean "good".

E: llk-linux: FSSTND-dir-in-usr usr/doc/
* The culprit lies in Makefile.am:
.----
| llk_linuxdocdir = ${prefix}/doc/llk_linux
`----
A naive solution would be making that ${prefix}/share/doc/llk_linux,
however, it's better to install the documentation using
Debian-specific ways.  You'll need to adjust every single file
anyway.

W: llk-linux: extra-license-file usr/doc/llk_linux/COPYING
* With GPL, the policy says the license should be pointed to from
/usr/share/doc/$package/copyright instead of being installed as-is.

W: llk-linux: zero-byte-file-in-doc-directory usr/share/doc/llk-linux/changelog.gz
* If there's no upstream changelog, we don't install it.

W: llk-linux: readme-debian-is-debmake-template
* Just delete it.  I can't think of anything reasonable to put there
at this moment.

W: llk-linux: menu-command-not-in-package /usr/share/menu/llk-linux:2 /usr/games/llk-linux
* The binary you install is named llk_linux, not llk-linux (but
again, issue 1 :p).

W: llk-linux: menu-item-uses-apps-games-section /usr/share/menu/llk-linux:2
W: llk-linux: menu-item-creates-new-section Apps/Games /usr/share/menu/llk-linux:2
* It's just "Games" now.

W: llk-linux: wrong-bug-number-in-closes l3:#nnnn
* Should be #373754

* debian/copyright needs to be filled out.
The only non-obvious part is the license.  If you're too lazy to read
the relevant part of the policy, just cut&paste this:
.----
|  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
|  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
|  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
|  (at your option) any later version.
|
|  See /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL.
`----

* debian/dirs includes /usr/sbin.  Why?

* debian/docs includes three files, all empty.  Empty files are not
documentation, you see...

* debian/rules have a lot of commented-out files.  While harmless,
they cause angry shouts from sponsors, and thus, well, are not
entirely harmless :p

* long description: I'm afraid it could really use being filtered
through a native speaker of English...

A bit of testing:
* About|Rules should probably be Help|Rules.
* The "rules" are written in Chinese, and thus unreadable by a vast
majority of Debian users.  It's just a short page -- so translating
it is only a small effort.

HTH.

> (PS: please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this mailing list)

Cheers and schtuff,
--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be