Re: Homepage-field in description

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Eddy Petrişor wrote:
> Think about somebody wanting to NMU because a bug has a fix in
> upstream and the current mainatiner is too busy or MIA. How
> difficult is it to get to the upstream? Is REALLY hard, belive me!

I hate to point this out this pointedly, but if someone wanting to NMU
is incapable of examining the copyright file to find the location of
upstream, they shouldn't be making an NMU. Hell, they wouldn't even
know about the existance of a new upstream version if they didn't
already know about the location of the upstream's site.

There's nothing wrong with providing a Homepage: link or any other
useful information in your Description, but the lack of one isn't
necessarily a bug. It may possibly be a wishlist request, but that's
pretty much it. It's up to the maintainer in the end if including a
Homepage: link is useful or not; they should be fully capable of
making this decision.

As far as keeping a repository of package names and their upstream
locations with screenshots, that's really something that freshmeat is
good at, not something that packages.debian.org does well currently.

Don Armstrong

--
Identical parts aren't.
 -- Beach's Law