Re: Homepage-field in description

On 6/14/06, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

The space is necessary; it tells package front-ends to not wrap the line.
See Policy 5.6.13.

I guess you are referring to:

"Those starting with two or more spaces. These will be displayed
verbatim. If the display cannot be panned horizontally, the displaying
program will line wrap them "hard" (i.e., without taking account of
word breaks). If it can they will be allowed to trail off to the
right. None, one or two initial spaces may be deleted, but the number
of spaces deleted from each line will be the same (so that you can
have indenting work correctly, for example)."

When the URL is something like http://www.myniceproject.org, I don't
see that would be the difference in having the extra space or not.
And the extra space doesn't look nice in the description, nor does it
look nice in the http://packages.debian.org page, and I doubt it looks
nice in synaptic either.  Therefore, I prefer not to add an extra
space, because I prefer my URLs to look just as the rest of the text.

Policy does not talk about URLs, it just explains what the extra space is for.

--
Besos,
Marga