Re: Somebody please put peless in a debian repository!

On Monday 12 June 2006 15:35, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 08:12 -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > During the xlibs-dev transition, I learned that listing full
> > build-dependencies (not just the minimal set) is recommended, though I
> > don't know how widely accepted or followed this is.  I don't mean
> > listing indirect build-deps, just the complete set of directly used
> > ones, even if one of the build-deps depends on another one.
> > devscript's dpkg-depcheck and dpkg-genbuilddeps may be useful.
>
> The basic idea is that if *your package* needs foo, then you must state
> foo - even if you also need bar which depends on foo.
>
> The reason for this is that you dont control the depends: of bar, so its
> quite possible for foo to stop being installed while your package builds
> without warning ... unless you have listed foo directly.
>
> That said, packages like gam and gam-dev are extremely unlikely to have
> that happen - I would tend to just build-dep on the -dev package there.

Agreed, build dependencies should be straightforward... and Policy #4.2
stipulates "what others need is their business... or their bugs":

When specifying the set of build-time dependencies, one should list only those
packages explicitly required by the build. It is not necessary to list
packages which are required merely because some other package in the list of
build-time dependencies depends on them.[13]

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#fr13

The reason for this is that dependencies change, and you should list all those
packages, and only those packages that you need directly. What others need is
their business. For example, if you only link against libimlib, you will need
to build-depend on libimlib2-dev but not against any libjpeg* packages, even
though libimlib2-dev currently depends on them: installation of libimlib2-dev
will automatically ensure that all of its run-time dependencies are
satisfied.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/footnotes.html#f13

Anyway the package is quite common... I also replied the guy with detailed
instructions how to turn the package in a good shape (ITP, manpage, watch
file, etc). He says he is busy working on it.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB