Re: Somebody please put peless in a debian repository!

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 12:38:17PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:20:34PM -0500, Paul Elliott a ?crit :
> >
> > All the debian style files can be found at:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/peless/ubuntu.510/
>
> Dear Paul,
>
> I had a quick look at your package. Here are some immediate comments:
>
> - There are many template files from the debian dir which can be
>   removed.
>
> - Especially if you package for Ubuntu, please consider including a
>   .desktop file (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages/NoDesktopFile)
>
> - You do not necessarly need to indicate the dependancies of the binary
>   package by hand. Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends} will make
>   it for you.
>
> - Some of the build-dependancies are superfluous, as they depend on each
>   others. Simplifying them will reduce the possibility of errors. For
>   instance, on my system, I could not install libboost-filesystem1.33.0,
>   as the version in my apt setup is libboost-filesystem1.33.1. However,
>   libboost-filesystem-dev depends on libboost-filesystem1.33.1 anyway,
>   and is listed in your build dependancies...
During the xlibs-dev transition, I learned that listing full
build-dependencies (not just the minimal set) is recommended, though I
don't know how widely accepted or followed this is.  I don't mean
listing indirect build-deps, just the complete set of directly used
ones, even if one of the build-deps depends on another one.
devscript's dpkg-depcheck and dpkg-genbuilddeps may be useful.

Justin