Re: RFS: urw-garamond -- scalable PostScript font from the Garamond family

Hi,

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> I have valid E-Mail addresses that do not contain my surname. ;-)

Sure, but the license says you have to indicate your name *and* email
address. You can't hide. :)

> However, it was indeed an oversight to not mark the changed file
> properly as required by the license. I will try to build a new version
> soon, and since I by now know more about the internals of Type1 fonts, I
> might even be able to build a better version.

Great, thanks.

> Note that my bug fix did not alter the metrics, hence tha .afm and
> .pfm files are unchanged.

OK. My reasoning about the .pfm was a bit confused, because for a moment
I forgot that PFM stands for Printer Font *Metrics*.

> One comment that might be usefull for the type aficionados: There are
> many versions of 'Garamond', including several from URW. URW Garamond

[...]

> The URW Garamond No. 8 font family is URW's digitization of the Garamond
> version introduced by the Stempel foundry. ...

Many thanks for your expert's comments on this matter!

>> 6.2. AFAICT, Ralf Stubner is one of the copyright holders, but is not
>>      listed in the relevant section.
>
> I am not sure if I can claim any rights on the rather trivial patch that
> I applied.

Yeah, I don't know where the limit of triviality is reached... and I
don't know precisely how you altered the fonts, so I am not in a
position to assert whether your are or are not a copyright holder. But
if you don't want to claim copyright, I think that's fine: whenever you
submit a change to a work, you can choose to give away the copyright (I
believe that is what happens with GNU projects, where the copyright is
assigned to the FSF). This will only make any later relicensing easier,
since you won't have to agree with such relicensing.

> Defoma and especially fontconfig integration are really tricky for this
> font since the 'bold' weight is called 'medium'.

Yes, I noticed that. I just wanted Kevin to find the problem himself.
He's the prospective maintainer, after all. :)

I'd try declaring the Medium fonts as Bold-weighted to defoma and the
Regular ones as Medium-weighted and see what it gives...

>>     thing with "dh_installdirs etc/X11/fonts/X11R7/Type1".
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Note:
>
> debhelper (5.0.35) unstable; urgency=low
>   [...]
>   * dh_installxfonts: /etc/X11/fonts/X11R7 is deprecated, back to looking in
>     old location, and not passing --x11r7-layout to update-fonts-alias and
>     update-fonts-scale (but still to update-fonts-dir). Closes: #366234

Argh!!!

So, I suppose we have to use /etc/X11/fonts/Type1 again. lmodern needs
an update, then. And do we need to depend on debhelper (>= 5.0.35)
instead of (>= 5.0.31)? lintian probably needs an update too in this
case, unless of course this has already been implemented (I didn't
upgrade my sid chroot very recently).

Thanks for your comments!

--
Florent