Re: RFS: courierpassd

> >  courierpassd is a utility for changing a user's password from across a
> >  network. It uses the same protocol as poppassd to obtain user IDs and
> >  passwords. This can be used, for example, to allow users to change
> >  their passwords from within various webmail programs.
> >
> Are you aware that there is at least already one package that does this?
>    Specifically, poppassd, which can be combined with poppass-cgi to
> enable changing the password via the web.  Your efforts might be better
> spent contributing to those.

My fault for copying the paragraph from the webpage focusing on
courierpassd, and skipping some important introductory information that
also applied to other similar tools (courierpasswd and courieruserinfo).
Here is an updated long description, which hopefully underlines the
difference between courierpassd and poppassd:

 Courierpassd works with the Courier mail server user authentication
 mechanism to allow changing a user's password from across a network. It
 uses the same protocol as poppassd to obtain user IDs and passwords.
 This can be used, for example, to allow users to change their passwords
 from within various webmail programs.
 .
  Homepage: http://www.arda.homeunix.net/store/

Said in another way, this package is meant to work with courier-authlib,
which may manage passwords in a way that is inaccesible to poppassd.

I apologize for the confusion which ensued from my lack of a proper
introduction of the package.

Charles

--
Men