Re: how to create a Release file

Tomas Davidek <davidek@ipnp.troja.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
>>apt-ftparchive(1) gives:
>>   release
>>      The  release  command  generates a Release file from a directory
>>      tree. It recursively searches the given directory for  Packages,
>>      Packages.gz, Packages.bz2, Sources, Sources.gz, Sources.bz2, Reâ??
>>      lease and md5sum.txt files. It then writes to stdout  a  Release
>>      file containing an MD5 digest and SHA1 digest for each file.
>>
>>      Values  for  the  additional metadata fields in the Release file
>>      are  taken  from  the  corresponding  variables  under  APT::FTâ??
>>      PArchive::Release,  e.g.  APT::FTPArchive::Release::Origin.  The
>>      supported fields are: Origin, Label, Suite,  Version,  Codename,
>>      Date, Architectures, Components, Description.
>>
>>See second paragraph. Perhaps a couple of "-o APT::FTPArchive::Xyz=Foo"
>>options could help?
>>

> Thanks for the answer, unfortunately it does not work (at least not in
> stable release). Any option I specified is not taken into account (no
> error messages on the output either!), the Release file still begins
> only with:
> ----------
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:30:22 UTC
> MD5Sum:
> ----------
> Maybe upgrading to testing solves the problem ?? Another question -
> where the Release file should be located ? According to docs I placed
> it into dists/<release>, but when looking at the debian mirrors I see
> also some Release files in dist/<release>/main/binary-i386 etc....
>
> Can anyone comment on it, please ?

There are Release files and Release files. :)

The dists/sid/Release and dists/sid/Release.gpg are crucial for
security and apts authentication. They have to be created on every
update.

The dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Release file is only used for pining
and is completly static. Just download the file from debian and modify
it to fit.

> Thanks a lot,
>
> best regards
>
>            Tomas