Re: RFS: sdljump

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 12:42:26PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> So, why run aclocal and delete all those files unnecesarily?  Even
> though the package is exactly the same as with the simpler rules, it
> smells like a source of bugs to me.  Like if in the future aclocal-1.9
> stops being present in Debian, this will fail, even if the package
> would compile otherwise.

I expected this question. :-)  There are several reasons for it.  First of
all, and most importantly IMO, I want all files to be compiled from source.
As you can see from the rules (in particular the autoconf-archive part), it
isn't actually a trivial matter to find out how to do that.  I want users who
feel like modifying the source to be able to recompile.  That includes when
they modify configure.in.  For that, the autotools must be run, and I think it
makes sense to have the "machine-readable build instructions" in debian/rules.

There are a few more reasons, but I wrote about them on this list recently,
and would probably bore many people when repeating, so I'll give a link to it
instead:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2006/02/msg00037.html

> By dropping this, you could drop the dependencies on automake1.9,
> libtool, autoconf-archive. (This is the linda warning.  It's not
> usually a good idea to depend on autoconf and the rest of the family).

I know linda used to warn about this, but they stopped doing so after I asked
them to.  See bug #327057.  At least on my system, it doesn't warn about it
anymore.

> About the description:
>
>  This game is a clone of xjump, and provides all its features, plus some more:
>   * Multiplayer mode (up to four players, not networked)
>   * Smooth graphics possible (but xjump style as well)
>
> It also provides different themes, and OpenGL support is optional.

Yes, these are good to include as well.  Thanks.

> Finally, the ELF file uses only 68KB, while the whole package uses 1,5
> MB of arch-independent files.  It certainly looks as a candidate for
> package and package-data splitting.  What do you think about that?

Sounds like a good idea, I hadn't thought about it.

> BTW, I'm willing to sponsor the package just as it is right now, but
> I'd like you to take into consideration this comments.

I've just changed the package to include the comments.  The new version is in
the same place (http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/~shevek/debian/sdljump/).

Thanks,
Bas