Re: RFS: sdljump

On 2/12/06, Bas Wijnen <shevek@fmf.nl> wrote:

> The package can be found at http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/~shevek/sdljump/.

It's actually at http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/~shevek/debian/sdljump/

The package is in very good state, it's lintian clean (although linda
issues a warning).  I have some comments:

In your debian/rules build-stamp target you do:
    ACLOCAL="aclocal-1.9 -I /usr/share/autoconf-archive"
AUTOMAKE=automake-1.9 autoreconf -f -i -s

And in the clean target, you do:
    -$(MAKE) maintainer-clean
    rm -f config.guess config.sub configure depcomp INSTALL install-sh \
        ltmain.sh missing mkinstalldirs config.log aclocal.m4
    -find . -name Makefile.in -exec rm {} \;

Why? I've done a couple of tests with this, and I got to the
conclusion that it's exactly the same as not running ACLOCAL and then
only doing -$(MAKE) distclean in the clean target (which is the common
thing to do, as far as I've seen).

So, why run aclocal and delete all those files unnecesarily?  Even
though the package is exactly the same as with the simpler rules, it
smells like a source of bugs to me.  Like if in the future aclocal-1.9
stops being present in Debian, this will fail, even if the package
would compile otherwise.

By dropping this, you could drop the dependencies on automake1.9,
libtool, autoconf-archive. (This is the linda warning.  It's not
usually a good idea to depend on autoconf and the rest of the family).

About the description:

 This game is a clone of xjump, and provides all its features, plus some more:
  * Multiplayer mode (up to four players, not networked)
  * Smooth graphics possible (but xjump style as well)

It also provides different themes, and OpenGL support is optional.

Finally, the ELF file uses only 68KB, while the whole package uses 1,5
MB of arch-independent files.  It certainly looks as a candidate for
package and package-data splitting.  What do you think about that?

BTW, I'm willing to sponsor the package just as it is right now, but
I'd like you to take into consideration this comments.

--
Besos,
Marga