Re: Removing former conffiles

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:

>> People who forgot (or never noticed) that the file is generated from
>> files in conf.d will open /etc/texmf/bla.conf in their favorite
>> editor, change the generated file without noticing, and will be
>> surprised if the change is lost after the next package upgrade.
>
> This should be an indication that you're not preserving administrator
> changes to configuration files if this occurs...

Err, no.  If the conffiles are in /etc/bla.d/, the generated file
bla.conf is in /var/lib/bla/, and there's a symlink chain from
/usr/share/bla/bla.conf to /etc/bla.conf and on to
/var/lib/bla/bla.conf, then there are two things I need to preserve: One
is the state of /etc/bla.conf (is it a symlink or a real file?) and the
other is the conffiles in /etc/bla.d/.

Of course there would be a remark at the top of /var/lib/bla/bla.conf as
to not edit it, but we all know that users don't necessarily read that.

This is why I think the symlink from /etc to /var idea isn't good.
Either the program is able to read from conf.d, or there is a generated
file that is accessed by the program without an additional indirection
via /etc.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster