Re: Removing former conffiles

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> > You've now got a conffile in a location which is not /etc, namely
> > /var/lib/bla, which cannot be overridden by the administrator.
>
> No, I don't. The program reads its configuration from a file in
> /var/lib/bla, but the conffiles (or configuration files) reside in
> /etc/bla/bla.d.

The configuration file is the file from which the configuration is
read, that is, the file in /var/lib/blah which isn't in /etc. This
setup forces the administrator to use a your special conffile setup
which they can't override.[1] The double symlink method enables them
to both:

   1) Override your method
   2) Use your method exactly as they would without the double symlink

In addition, you get compliance with policy, and an implementation
which is more obvious to the administrator.

A third option would be to build the conffile in /var/lib/blah, and
use ucf or similar to prompt for the difference betwen /var/lib/blah
and /etc/blah.

Don Armstrong

1: In the sense that they can't decide that using the conf.d is silly
and ship a single configuration file.
--
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked