Re: pkg-config needs a replacement?

On Monday 30 January 2006 4:20 am, skaller wrote:
> * there is no provision for other than the limited set
>   of resources (--cflags, --libs) that it supports

You can make any variable in the .pc file available - anything you can put
into the .pc using (e.g.) .pc.in can be made available to those processes
that read the .pc file. I use it to locate XML schema and other files.

I use:
xmldir=@QSF_SCHEMA_DIR@
libdir=@libdir@
added_libs=@ADD_PKG_LIB@
Libs: -L${libdir} -lqof ${added_libs}

then people can bring those in using:
QOF_LIB_DIR=`$PKG_CONFIG --silence-errors --variable=libdir qof-1`
QOF_XML_DIR=`$PKG_CONFIG --silence-errors --variable=xmldir qof-1`

http://qof.sourceforge.net/hacking.html#automake

>   User code often requires other resources such as:
>
>   ** environment variables
>   ** media files
>   ** working services
>   ** authority

All supported as --variable=.

>   ** I'm sure the list is as long as you like :)
>   ** Remember not all 'code' is written C :))

If you can use sed or equivalent, you can make these available to .pc.

> For Debian many libraries live in /usr/lib, but not all:
> some installed libraries live in strange places anyhow,
> and some libraries -- such as the ones my own tool
> generates -- aren't installed, and even if they were they
> would not be installed by Debian package manager
> -- unless the component was so useful someone decided
> to package it. Thus, Debian Standards help (a LOT!!)
> but aren't enough (SDL doesn't come with pkg-config
> meta data).

That's why I support the --variable syntax. Works fine.

--

Neil Williams