Re: RFS: elvis - powerful clone of the vi/ex text editor

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:50:31PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in> writes:

> > I've prepared a new maintainer upload of elvis and it is available
> > at
> > 	http://www.imsc.res.in/~kapil/debian/elvis/elvis*4adopt3*

> > (If someone agrees to sponsor this I will of course up the version to
> > 2.2.0-5.)

> This looks good to me.  I'll sponsor it.  Please go ahead and build a new
> package with the 2.2.0-5 version number.

> When you do that, you may want to move the configure patch introduced in
> the last QA upload to a patch in debian/patches rather than having it be
> just in the Debian .diff.gz.  That way it would match all the other
> modifications to the upstream code.

> I recommend switching from the current manually-implemented patch system
> to using dpatch, although you're certainly not required to do this and
> I'll sponsor the package anyway.  The advantage to using dpatch, even
> though it may not gain you any additional functionality over what you have
> now, is that more other people use it and it's one less thing about the
> package for someone else who wants to work on it to figure out.

For new deployment of patch systems, I would strongly encourage using quilt
instead of dpatch.  It has much better handling of patch dependencies than
any of the others, and much more user friendly patch editing/creating
capabilities.

The xorg, glibc, and samba packages, for instance, are all using quilt
today.