Re: RFC: vrms -- Virtual Richard M. Stallman

Hi, Christopher and others.

Thank you very much for your response. I unfortunately didn't have this
past week to take care of the reports that I received (some of them
privately) and all of them good ideas.

Real life is quite demanding this end of year.

On Nov 20 2005, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Rogério Brito in <[🔎] 20051119023218.GC31906@ime.usp.br>
> > I would like to ask you more experienced maintainers, if possible, to
> > scrutinize vrms to see if I am using good practices. Any comments are
> > welcome and I plan on getting it right before adding new features to it.
>
> the new package has the most annoying bug resolved, the Sarge version
> used to complain about purged packages, too.

Does the version in sarge have this bug? I thought that the version that
I fixed and that was sponsored by Joey Hess had migrated into sarge
while it was testing, but I may have got the timing incorrectly. :-(

I remember that I spent some time merging bugs in the BTS for similar
reports, during that time, before I decided (with permission from Bdale)
to act as a maintainer of it (and register it on alioth).  All of those
bugs will be marked closed with the next upload.

> Some minor things:
>
> * "1 non-free packages, 0.1% of 908 installed packages." should be
> singular

Right. I'll fix that now. Since you mention that, the way of counting
the number of installed packages is buggy, IIRC, but I'll look into that
a little later. I plan many other releases this year.

The only problem that is confusing me is the fact that I would like to
have the current version uploaded to unstable soon (since it fixes an RC
bug that was filed more than half a month ago), but I don't want to step
onto Bdale's toes...

OTOH, it seems that he is quite busy (and as he already explained, his
free time to work on Debian only comes in bursts).

> * running ./vrms from svn complains about a missing explanations file
> even when called without -e

Ok, I'll investigate that.

> Some explanations:
>
> j2re1.4: No source available

Thank you very much. This motivates me to also include explanations for
packages that are created by java-package.

> selfhtml: No commercial distribution, no modifications allowed
> xv: No commercial distribution or use, no modifications allowed

Ok.

Thank you very much for your comments, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/