how to handle non-responsive maintainers?

Hello,

For my ITP (#333680) I need a new version of libglademm [1,2].
Unfortunately the current maintainer seems not very responsive, with
several of his bugs open for years [3]. We are all volunteers and I do
understand that he can be occupied, but as I am no DD, I cannot check
whether is on vacation or if there is more information on him being MIA.

What is the right course of action? Several of his bugs are quite
trivial to fix, so maybe some help could speed things up considerably.

Thanks in advance,
Adriaan Peeters

[2] I do know that this package is affected by some of the ongoing
transitions.
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=btb@debian.org