Re: RFS: irmp3 -- mp3 Jukebox (LIRC support)

Hi Mario,

please send your answers on my list mails back to the list, so others
can also help or could correct me, if I'm wrong.

Mario Iseli Mario Iseli <mario@marioiseli.com>:
> On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:42 +0100, Erik Schanze wrote:
> > Perhaps you should mention, that irmp3 was recently removed from
> > archive because
> > it was unmaintained for a long time[1].
> >
> > If irmp3 enters archive again, you have to deal with some old
> > bugs[2], some of them
> > were RC bugs.
>
> Yes, i saw it. To the bugs: I had a look at it and had contact with
> the upstream - it is no problem anymore, everything is solved.

Every single bug is solved? Great.
So you could add a note to changelog that state this and "Closes:" all
bugs.
This seems silly, because they are already closed, but leave IMO a good
closing report on archived bugs.

> > Anyway let me do some remarks on your package:
> >
> > debian/control:
> > - You Build-Depend on autotools-dev, but your diff.gz contains
> >   config.guess.diff and config.sub.diff. It's better to backup the
> >   original files before configure and link to
> > /usr/share/misc/config.* then restore it on clean. So you will get
> > a smaller diff.gz. (same applied to irmp3-ncurses)
>
> Why do you mean? A friend of me (an expierienced maintainer) told me
> that this is okey. He had already a look on my package.

Your way will not fail, but could be improved.
The advantage of Build-Depends on autotools-dev is to have the newest
config.* stuff available. There is no need to include the new config.*
files into diff. If you do so, you don't need to Build-Depend on
autotools-dev, but your diff grows. Yours is actually 29208 byte.

If you use a target before configure to backup original config.* files
(if were are any) and link to the autotools-dev ones, and commands in
clean to remove the links and restore original config.* files.
See the rules file on
http://www.erikschanze.de/debian/rules
(Don't forget to remove the created links
by your rules file in upstream dir, if you test it.)

The resulting diff.gz will be 7694 Byte. :-)

> > debian/patches/01-manpages.dpatch:
> > - you change Jérémy to Jeremy, perhaps he will be unhappy about it.
> > Please see
> >   groff_char(7) for better substitution.
>
> In the original it is Jérémy, yes. But lintian is not happy with it
> and i had to change it!

Did you read groff_char(7)?
How about \['e]? I changed manpage.dpatch, see:
http://www.erikschanze.de/debian/01-manpages.dpatch
I also removed mail address from .TH line in irmp3d.7 because it is too
long and overwrites version number in manpage footer.

> The updated can be found on the old location:
> http://server01.marioiseli.com/~mario/dpkgs/irmp3/

I had a look at it.
debian/rules:
- you gives the configure call a CFLAG with "-O2", but configure.in
  defines "-O3", so gcc is called with -O2 -O3
  Because -Wall is also set, you should remove your CFLAG variable

debian/control:
- add a empty line (space and dot) between description and "Homepage:".

debian/docs:
- NEWS file is quite seemless, remove it

debian/copyright:
- Copyright Holder(s) -> Copyright Holders

manpages:
- You should rephrase irmp3conf.1. (e.g. option -f is very unclear to
  me, too many defaults ;-).)

- irmp3.conf.5:
  mouse_move_[left|right|up|downe] must be:
  mouse_move_[left|right|up|down]

- irmp3.conf.5, irmp3d.8:
  SEE ALSO: irmp3d_commands(1)
  This manpage doesn't exist.

The other manpages should also checked for technical errors and for
wording, they sounds pretty strange sometimes.

Because I'm not a DD (yet), I'm unfortunately not able to sponsor yur
packages, but hope my comments help you.

Kindly regards,
Erik

--
 Bitte keine HTML-E-Mails! No HTML mails, please! Limit: 100 kB *