Package copyright notice (was: Re: [RFS] quaneko: An index tool of TXT, PDF, DOC, HTML and others)

On 24-Aug-2005, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Just to be clear, a proper copyright notice looks like "Copyright
> (C) 2004, 2005 Justin Pryzby", possibly omitting the "(C)".

Definitely omitting the "(C)"; there's no legal purpose for
"parenthesis letter-C parenthesis". If you want a copyright symbol,
the only symbol recognised legally for that purpose is ©, encoded in
Unicode as U+00A9 COPYRIGHT SIGN.

Thus, these are both useful:

    Copyright 2004, 2005 Ben Finney
    Copyright © 2004, 2005 Ben Finney

IANAL, TINLA, YMMV, HAND.

> The problem is that dh_make used to give a ./debian/copyright of the
> form: "Copyright: <boilerplate here>", and lots of people changed it
> to "Copyright: GPL.", confusing "copyright" and "license".  I have a
> large number of opened bugs [0] about current packages whose
> /u/s/d/x/copyright looks like that.
>
> dh_make now [1] uses "Copyright Holder: <boilerplate>" to make the
> difference more clear.

Which still isn't fully clear, since my instinct at that point is to
put only the name, and not the copyright notice. I agree, though, that
this is better than putting a license name where a copyright notice is
required.

--
 \          "Writing a book is like washing an elephant: there no good |
  `\        place to begin or end, and it's hard to keep track of what |