Re: predepends/depends order

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 01:33:37PM +0200, Sandro Dentella wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>>   I'm preparing a package that is meant to setup a PDC with ldap and samba
>>   mainly for schools. The target that will use it is fairly anaware of most
>>   of the quantity of things that should be configured in such a setup and I
>>   don't mean to explain more than necessary.
>>
>>   My package (isi-ldap3) depends on a veriety of other packages (pkg1,
>>   pkg2...)  that place questions via debconf, so I thought to fill debconf
>>   variable (of pkgN) via a package isi-ldap3-pre) that should place very
>>   simple questions and take decision that I consider "difficoult" for my
>>   target (super?)user.

[...]
> Depends is sufficient for you; Policy 7.2:
>
> 	| `Depends'
> 	|  This declares an absolute dependency.  A package will not be
> 	|  configured unless all of the packages listed in its
> 	|  `Depends' field have been correctly configured.

I don't think this is sufficient for the purpose.  What he wants is to
create a package A-pre that is configured earlier than all packages
B,C,D, where B,C,D are the packages A depends on.

I don't have an idea how this could be done.  The only alternative I see
is to tell the people "install A-pre first, then install A which will
pull in B,C,D"; or to create a script in A-pre that will ask the debconf
questions and then ask "You must install A,B,C and D for this to have an
effect.  Proceed" and run apt-get install A B C D.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich