Re: predepends/depends order

Frank Küster wrote on 16/08/2005 18:50:
> Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>Depends is sufficient for you; Policy 7.2:
>>
>>	| `Depends'
>>	|  This declares an absolute dependency.  A package will not be
>>	|  configured unless all of the packages listed in its
>>	|  `Depends' field have been correctly configured.
>

> I don't think this is sufficient for the purpose.  What he wants is to
> create a package A-pre that is configured earlier than all packages
> B,C,D, where B,C,D are the packages A depends on.

As I understand it, his final target is to have one package (A-pre)
which is definately configured before packages B,C,D are unpacked (or
configured, doesn't matter here). A itself wouldn't be needed if A-pre
could make sure by itself that it is configured before B,C and D.

> I don't have an idea how this could be done.  The only alternative I see
> is to tell the people "install A-pre first, then install A which will
> pull in B,C,D"; or to create a script in A-pre that will ask the debconf
> questions and then ask "You must install A,B,C and D for this to have an
> effect.  Proceed" and run apt-get install A B C D.

Would be nice for this task, but due to the locking which is in effect
during configuration of packages, I believe this is not possible,
neither with apt-get nor by using dpkg directly. Only option I would see
is to install an "at" job during configuration time of A-pre, which
would then install B, C, D.

cu,
sven