Re: Adding a package to the repository

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:09:27 -0300
Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@ufmg.br> wrote:

> > Did you look at gnuchess? That's the chess engine that most GNU chess
> > programs use.
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/chess/
>
> When I was starting to write it I've taken a look in gnuchess, but the
> propose of my software is different. I want it to be simple and small,
> and only to implement the chess game, just like a board, not like a
> player.
>
> That means I don't want Artificial Inteligence at all. The propose is to
> be a simple p2p chess game to you play with your friend without having
> to read docs or to install big and heavy things.

  You may be interested in trying eboard [1] which is available in Debian
and mostly complies with your requirements:
  * no AI (but can also use external chess engines if you want to play
against the computer)
  * simple, but good appearance and theme-able (pieces and board).
  * allows direct (no server in the middle) p2p games (and also supports
playing using internet chess servers).

  regards,

[1] http://eboard.sourceforge.net/
--
  Ricardo Mones Lastra - mones@aic.uniovi.es
  Centro de Inteligencia Artificial, Universidad de Oviedo en Gijon