Re: Adding a package to the repository

Em Sáb, 2005-04-23 às 09:19 +0100, Neil Williams escreveu:
> On Saturday 23 April 2005 4:53 am, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
> > Hello, I've created a debian package for a small game I've written some
> > time ago.
> >
> > It's a simple p2p chess game. I've created it cause me and my friend
> > wanted to play chess at the time, but we couldn't find a simple and
> > small implementation of chess.
>
> Did you look at gnuchess? That's the chess engine that most GNU chess programs
> use.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/chess/

When I was starting to write it I've taken a look in gnuchess, but the
propose of my software is different. I want it to be simple and small,
and only to implement the chess game, just like a board, not like a
player.

That means I don't want Artificial Inteligence at all. The propose is to
be a simple p2p chess game to you play with your friend without having
to read docs or to install big and heavy things.

> > It's written in haskell,
>
> A bit like Scheme then.
>
> "In applications where performance is required at any cost, or when the goal
> is detailed tuning of a low-level algorithm, an imperative language like C
> would probably be a better choice than Haskell, exactly because it provides
> more intimate control over the exact way in which the computation is carried
> out."
> http://www.haskell.org/aboutHaskell.html
>
> Which explains nicely why gnuchess - the engine code - is in C.
> :-)

Sure! But the "performance is required at any cost" thing is only for
AI. Which is not my case. I've chosen Haskell because I think it's very
faster to make it in this language than it's in C.

Thanks for your tips, they were nice. I'm trying to make the debian
package better, while that, I would like to have some information about
adding it to the repository. I'm reading the Developers Reference, but
all that information is still a little vague for me.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

--
[]'s
marcot