Re: Best way to package skippy

Le Jeudi 3 Mars 2005 09:46, Niv Altivanik (Debian)
<xaiki+deb@cxhome.ath.cx> a écrit :
> first I'd appreciate you stop CCing me as I do read the mailing list
>
> I think I'll apply the patch, as it looks like a policy fix, and will
>
> use Steve's solution, witch is appending to the README file:
> >  'Add the following in /etc/X11/XSession.d/99skippy if you wish
> > the program to be started at login time for all users:
> >
> >  #!/bin/sh
> >
> >  /usr/bin/skippy &'
>
> I refuse to modify the default xinitrc for 2 reasons:
> - as Steve said, not everyone will enjoy skippy.
> - If I do so, the xinitrc file will be modified, and the next upgrade
>   of xbase-clients will break, ask for a change (witch can not be seen
>   in automatic upgrades), or at better overwrite my changes.

xinitrc sources /etc/X11/Xsession which sources all scripts
in /etc/X11/Xsession.d so you can put /etc/X11/XSession.d/99skippy script
(which can for example check to /etc/default/skippy to check if skippy
should be started).
That way xinitrc isn't modified.

Anyway, you should take a look at tpb's package which operates this way.

bye,
nive