Re: Best way to package skippy [was: Re: [RFS][ITP] Skippy, gcursor, glurp. ]

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:24:59AM -0600, David Moreno Garza wrote:

> > What do you people think of modifying the window managers to look for
> > skippy and start it when initing? For example, we could patch metacity
> > to have an option on its capplet that allows you to enable skippy-like
> > functionality if skippy is available.
>
> I think, in that case, it would be life harder for everybody
> involved ;-)

  Agreed.

  There seem to be three choices presented so far:

	1.  Have skippy itself integrate itself into window managers.

	2.  Have all window managers update to start skippy.

	3.  Let the user setup the package to run at login time manually.

  The first two suggestions, whilst nice from an integration point of
 view are simply not practical.    There are too many window managers
 and desktop environments to either patch, or recognise.

  So that really suggests the last approach is the one to use.

> What if we just let the package to run something like:
>
> echo 'skippy' >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>
> ...in the postinst script?

  Why even do that - why not allow the user to do it?  If there are
 multiple users on a system not all of them might like the software...

> And I would like to see probably,
> the /usr/share/doc/skippy/skippyrc-default file, linked (or just placed
> on) in /etc/skippy/skippyrc, so skippy could do something similar to the
> attached diff. After that, it is the user's choice to copy the template
> to $HOME/.skippyrc and be happy.

  I'm not sure I see the gain there, but otherwise the patch looks good.

Steve