Re: Some questions

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 06:15:15PM +0100, Lars Roland wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:51:02 +0100, Romain Beauxis <beauxir5@cti.ecp.fr> wrote:
> > Le Mardi 1 Mars 2005 16:34, Lars Roland a écrit :
> > > 2) When you update the database software from, say, version 1.0 to 1.1
> > > then it would be preferable to NOT generate all the tables again (that
> > > is, mysoftware-db 1.1 should just alter or extend the tables that
> > > mysoftware-db 1.0 created). Can I somehow create a package that
> > > depends on earlier versions of itself ? - or is there some other
> > > scheme that is used when you are in a situation where software depends
> > > on earlier versions of itself ?.
> >
> > Then you can provide an update software within the package that check for the
> > installed version and perform the required changes by itself, and is run when
> > updating package.
> > That is to say, without using the debian package system, but relying on
> > upstream code.
> > More over, if you want to provide a tgz stand alone tarball, you'll have to
> > make this kind of code, so why don't you use it also for the package?
>
> Ok thanks - as you say we already provide this possibility so it would
> be easy to move it to Debian - I was just not aware if it was a
> acceptable solution, to provide 3rd party updating software. But I
> guess that it will not be a problem as long as this updating software
> does not make it impossible to uninstall the Debian package.
Not sure I understand the full situation; the software should not
update itself via cvs cronjobs or anything like that (as with NRAO
AIPS).  The maintainer scripts may modify configuration files (but not
conffiles), and alter the DB tables.  But, the binaries provided by
the .deb should be identical to the binaries available on a system at
any given time.

Justin