Re: Some questions

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:51:02 +0100, Romain Beauxis <beauxir5@cti.ecp.fr> wrote:
> Le Mardi 1 Mars 2005 16:34, Lars Roland a écrit :
> > 2) When you update the database software from, say, version 1.0 to 1.1
> > then it would be preferable to NOT generate all the tables again (that
> > is, mysoftware-db 1.1 should just alter or extend the tables that
> > mysoftware-db 1.0 created). Can I somehow create a package that
> > depends on earlier versions of itself ? - or is there some other
> > scheme that is used when you are in a situation where software depends
> > on earlier versions of itself ?.
>
> Then you can provide an update software within the package that check for the
> installed version and perform the required changes by itself, and is run when
> updating package.
> That is to say, without using the debian package system, but relying on
> upstream code.
> More over, if you want to provide a tgz stand alone tarball, you'll have to
> make this kind of code, so why don't you use it also for the package?

Ok thanks - as you say we already provide this possibility so it would
be easy to move it to Debian - I was just not aware if it was a
acceptable solution, to provide 3rd party updating software. But I
guess that it will not be a problem as long as this updating software
does not make it impossible to uninstall the Debian package.

Regards.

Lars Roland