Some questions

Hi

This may be newbie questions, but anyway here goes: We have a
commercial system, that we are planing to make available open source
(GPL) - right now the plan is to have deb packages and tgz files for
the installation. The tgz installation can be broken into

 a) Executable files
 b) Database files (eg. *.sql files for generating tables)
 c) Documentation

In order to make updating smooth, it would be nice if this separation
could be kept, thus I would like to create 3 packages

 mysoftware               # Contains the executables
 mysoftware-db           # Contains the database scripts
 mysoftware-doc         # Contains the documentation

My questions are

1) How do I create a deb package that just drops the documentation in
a given directory (eg. it is pure html doc so no man pages are
created). I have read as much documentation about the process of
making debian packages, and all of it seams evolve around turning
software that is installable by normal GNU procedures in to a debian
package. Normally our software is installed by a script and removed by
another script. So I am wondering if anyone has some pointers to
documentation that explains how to write a deb package from scratch
without usin the helper tools (as these tools does not seam fit our
installation procedure).

2) When you update the database software from, say, version 1.0 to 1.1
then it would be preferable to NOT generate all the tables again (that
is, mysoftware-db 1.1 should just alter or extend the tables that
mysoftware-db 1.0 created). Can I somehow create a package that
depends on earlier versions of itself ? - or is there some other
scheme that is used when you are in a situation where software depends
on earlier versions of itself ?.

Sorry if these a trivial questions to some of you, but I am a skilled
programmer not a skilled package maintainer and I have unfortunately
been unable to find answers to my questions on the net.

Thanks in advance.