RFC sim-im (Simple Instant Messenger)

There were sim-icq project

It is Instant Messenger program, with many nice features, it can work
with ICQ Jabber AOL MSN and some others.

and there were Debian package made of this project

But there were no activity in sim-icq project for a long time, and
Debian package sim have no maintainer for a year

But some time ago a sim-icq fork appeared.
This fork is called sim-im

So I am interested in preparing Debian package of this project.

I do not know whether it should be a new package with new name (sim-im),
or we should put changers in existing sim package.

Developers on sim-im said that the author of initial sim version just
take some time for vocations, and may continue his work some time
later. But I am not sure that it will happen...

So first of all I need an advice what package name should I choose,

Then I will need a Sponsor, who will check my work, give vise advises and
upload the package into Debian package repository.

The source of the sim package is here:

package built for i386 sarge is here

The description of the package:

Source: sim
Section: net
Maintainer: Murat Demirten <murat@debian.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 4.0.0), flex, autoconf, automake1.7,
 libtool(>= 1.4.2-1), libfam-dev, libpng-dev, libqt3-mt-dev (>=
3:3.3.5), libqt3-headers,
 libqt3-compat-headers, qt3-dev-tools-compat, libssl-dev, kdelibs4-dev
(>= 4:3.4.2-1),
 zlib1g-dev, libexpat1-dev, libsablot0-dev, sablotron, libxml2-dev,
 libxslt1-dev, libxft-dev, g++, zip
Standards-Version: 3.6.1

Package: sim
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
Replaces: kopete
 SIM is a open-source ICQ client, using QT with enhanced
 features. Special support for KDE3.
 Some of the features:
  * Receiving and sending SMS
  * Server-side contact list
  * Receiving and the sending messages in RTF-format
  * Phone directory support
  * File transfers
  * Chat
  * Support Miranda icon themes
  * Spam filter
  * Secure direct connection with SIM and Licq
  * Message or chat mode for user window
  * On-Screen display notification about messages and user status
  * Sending of the messages to several users

Sorry for my English and thank you for your help.