Re: Policy documentation on debconf

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 19:59:07 -0200, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> said:

> Hi, Lionel.
> On Dec 25 2005, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 05:37:11PM -0200, Rogério Brito wrote:

>> > * http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/debconf-debconf/tutorial-doc.html

>> Ah yeah, this seems to contain the information. Thanks a lot. Is
>> there a good reason it is not in the policy?

        Policy is not the place to put documentation that belongs to
 packages? Policy mandates  usage of debconf; how debconf works is
 described in the docs related to debconf. I am not sure that this
 should be writ in stone in policy.

> I was under the same dilemma that you are facing now. That tutorial
> makes references to the policy and I went there to see if I could
> find anything, but I didn't find.

> To integrate debconf on vrms, I used the tutorial, lintian, a bit of
> guess-work (e.g., things about the debconf-2.0) and a bit of common
> sense (taking into consideration the fact that the document is not
> exactly that new).

> It would be nicer to have it completely described (and in an updated
> manner) in a definitive reference, of course.

        Sure. Should be in the documentation of debconf itself.

>> If not, I'll file a bug to get it there.

> I guess that that's the proper thing to do here.

        I beg to differ -- if you think this belongs in policy
 itself.

        manoj
--
Old timer, n.: One who remembers when charity was a virtue and not an
organization.