Re: Oracle 10g installer anyone?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 07:20:36PM -0700, Alex Nauda wrote:
> Package: oracle10g-installer
> Section: contrib/misc
> Maintainer: Alex J. Nauda <nauda@yahoo.com>
> License: GNU GPL
>
> I'd also appreciate some guidance in determining where to install
> everything.  There are two main components in a typical situation:
> 1. The ORACLE_HOME software tree itself
> 2. The data files for the database (assuming the user opts to create
> a starter database, which is normal to do)
>
> I was thinking of installing in /opt -- on the surface it seems to be
> compliant with FHS.  The database files themselves (if on the fs
> rather than raw devices) would then logically go to /var/opt.
/opt/ is okay, but maybe you should provide the mechanism by which a
local admin can change the installation root.

FHS:

   Distributions may install software in /opt, but must not modify or
   delete software installed by the local system administrator without
   the assent of the local system administrator.

--
Clear skies,
Justin