Oracle 10g installer anyone?

Package: oracle10g-installer
Section: contrib/misc
Maintainer: Alex J. Nauda <nauda@yahoo.com>
License: GNU GPL

I'm working on an Oracle installer package that automates the prep
work and installation of the latest 10g R2 release for Linux x86.
It's informed by the fine work done by Graham Williams at
http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Oracle_10g.shtml
and other pioneers in the space.

My rudimentary installer package Works For Me at this point, but I
need help debianizing the installation.  It does some fairly invasive
stuff:

* Edits your /etc/sysctl.conf and runs sysctl -p to change shm, file,
and port limits in your kernel

* Edits other things in /etc that I was hesitant to automate:
 - /etc/security/limits.conf
 - /etc/pam.d/login and /etc/pam.d/su
 - /etc/profile to up bash's ulimits

* Fakes out Oracle Universal Installer to think your debian system is
red hat, adds users and groups, etc.

* If the user chooses to install interactively (to customize), Oracle
now only supports their Java GUI installer, which will require X
locally or remotely.  There's a challenge invoking this, because it
has to run as user oracle but still connect to an X server.  Oracle's
recommendation isn't secure.  X forwarding with ssh works, with
caveats.

* If instead the user opts for a quick development install, it will
perform a silent OUI install using a response file.  Oracle seems to
have copyrighted the response file templates, so I'm trying to
automate the edit of one of the ones they provide, depending on
installation type, based on debconf input.  I'm not entirely certain
of the licensing implications, but I'd like to keep the installer out
of non-free even if it means some complexity.  Thoughts?

I'd also appreciate some guidance in determining where to install
everything.  There are two main components in a typical situation:
1. The ORACLE_HOME software tree itself
2. The data files for the database (assuming the user opts to create
a starter database, which is normal to do)

I was thinking of installing in /opt -- on the surface it seems to be
compliant with FHS.  The database files themselves (if on the fs
rather than raw devices) would then logically go to /var/opt.

If you've read this far, perhaps you're interested in getting a solid
Oracle installer into debian.  if you'd be willing to answer my
questions, review my nascent package, and eventually sponsor an
upload, please write me back.

The package itself isn't ready for general use (let alone the
archive), but I'll send it to anyone in its current state if you'd
like to try it out.

Thank you,
Alex