Re: managing my packages with svn

Am Donnerstag, den 13.10.2005, 11:59 +0200 schrieb Bastian Venthur:
> Fathi Boudra wrote:
>
> > Le Jeudi 13 Octobre 2005 10:53, Bastian Venthur a écrit :
> >> Hi mentors,
> >> In order to keep track of my changes in the development of my packages
> >> I've decided to put my "debian" folder with all the packages and sources
> >> inside into a svn repo.
> >>
> >> My question is simple: Are there common pitfalls I should look out for? I
> >> could imagine, that all the new .svn dirs in every folder could cause
> >> some trouble, when building new packages.
> >
> > take a look at http://workaround.org/moin/SvnBuildpackage
>
> Thanks for pointing me to SvnBuildpackage. Allthough I think it provides a
> good way of keeping track of your changes, I'm afraid the whole
> buildprocess becomes too complicated -- especially for New Maintainers (me
> included).

I don't use/know svn-buildpackage, but cvs-buildpackage and I can tell
you, it is very easy to use (so I think, svn-buildpackage is too if you
know svn).

> I think I still prefer the easy way by just putting the debian-dir (where
> all my packages are stored) under svn control or maybe an own repo for
> every package.

If you want to have a look at a cvs-repo for Debian packages have a look
at http://cvs.wgdd.de/cgi-bin/cvsweb/?cvsroot=debian. So if you want,
you can also test cvs-buildpackage with anonymous checkout. If you
really want to give it a try, I suggest to use "cvs-buildpackage
-C'debuild ...'".

> This way I just have to deal with two seperate problems:
> (1) ci/co
> (2) building the package as usual
>
> Does anything speak against my method? BTW: how do I make pdebuild and
> debuild to ignore the .svn dirs?

Make an export, not a checkout. But normally debuild/pdebuild should not
complain about .svn dirs. Do you mean linda/lintian? In this case, you
need to add a short ignore-warning hint for linda/lintian. BTW: I
suggest to use

DEBUILD_LINTIAN=yes
DEBUILD_LINDA=yes
DEBUILD_LINTIAN_OPTS="-i -I"
DEBUILD_LINDA_OPTS="-i"

in /etc/devscripts.conf (runs linda and lintian automatically after
every debuild run and it further outputs some more info).

just my 2 cents
Regards, Daniel