Re: START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY

Justin Pryzby wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:32:52PM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to package "xparam". Upstream has an sgml documentation that
>>they processed into an info page. When I try to install the package
>>produced containing said info pages, I get:
>>

>Unfortunately, I don't know anything about info format .. I'd suggest
>looking at existing info pages, especially those generated by sgml
>(and the mechanisms used for doing so).

Thing is, SGML is a wildcard tags based language. For example, HTML is
also an SGML language. The exact semantics of the language is defined by
a template, and that one is different according to the interpreter you
use. I found info pages generated by sgmltexi, but that doesn't help me
at all. I will need to find info pages generted by linuxdoc.

>>I really don't want to start translating the entire SGML into a
>>different format.
>>

>This certainly shouldn't be necessary..

So I have to stick to something linuxdoc can produce, but...

>>Is it acceptable to have debian/rules add the relevant entry
>>directly into the generated info page?
>>

>Surely; sed is your friend ..

Of course it is. The thing is, I'm then post-processing a generated
file. That's not something I'm keen on doing. Getting the context right,
so that the added line stays at the right point, may require awk, which
I'm far less familiar with.

>  If you can come up with a patch to the
>upstream source, that is, of course, preferable, and you should
>forward it upstream.

Part of the problem is that upstream knows nothing about this as well.

>>What should said entry look like, anyways? I have not been able to
>>locate any documentation on what it's for, or how to use it.
>>

>Sounds to me like its the part after the ':' in
>
>  10.1 `ls': List directory contents

I meant the syntax of the info file. Something should say "these are the
mandatory fields, and this is their format". Havn't been able to locate
such a text.

Thanks anyways,
          Shachar

--