Re: duplicate library code in a package

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, François-Denis Gonthier wrote:

On 28 September 2005 14:07, Justin Pryzby wrote:

When I make a new upstream package for Erlang, I need to extract the upstream
tar.gz file, which is named otp_src_[version].tar.gz, rename the created
directory to a Debian friendly name and then make the .orig.tar.gz.

Does that count as repackaging? If so I'm clueless as to what I should do to
avoid that.

YOu should not have to do this every time. The way I have dealt with this issue is the following:

1. make a symbolic link to the original source tarball using the correct Debian name with *_ver.orig.tar.gz

2. untar the original and rename the resulting directory

3. build Debian package in then renamed directory (possibly starting with dh_make)

4. when the next version is released, just download it, make the symbolic link as in (1) and then perform a uupdate inside the previous directory (youcan use the -v option to force a version number if it is not obvious form the tarball name). uupdate will make a new directory with the correct name independent of what is in the tarball

5. better yet, make a watch file and run uscan. if you choose to execute uupdate on the downloaded tarball, it will automagically perform steps in (4) as long as the version number is parseable form the original traball name.

The renaming process only needs to be done once and you cactually don't have to re-tar the source.

HTH

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics