Re: duplicate library code in a package

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

An excellent point.  I imagine that it would also be permissible to
repackage the .orig.tar.gz file so that it is gone from there as well.

-Roberto

True, but then there is an additional step to taking a new tarball release and making a package. I think it is better practice not to modify the upstream tarball. Suppose that I were gone and you wanted to package a new release of my package. If I have a special, hidden procedure to prepare the original tarball, then you would not be able to just apply the diffs from the old source and have a chance to make it work.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology