Re: duplicate library code in a package

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:15:12PM +0200, Tommaso Moroni wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm packaging kchmviewer, which uses a version of chmlib bundled
> in the upstream tarball.
>
> Is it a Bad Thing to use that library instead of depending on the
> official packaged one?

Yes(TM), it is a Bad Thing(TM).

If the official library is suitable, then use it.  It will:

- absolve you of providing security support for the duplicate code
- make the resulting binary packages fewer or smaller
- save space on end user systems and repository mirror sites

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto