Re: Dependencies and debconf configuration

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 09:38:34AM +0200, Julien Valroff wrote:

> As an exercise, I am trying to package as cleanly as possible bootsplash
> 3.2 and a few themes.
> I use debconf templates for the configuration.
> Main bootsplash package depends on a given theme package, which depends
> itself to bootsplash. I really don't know if it is a good idea, as this
> leads to a few problems:

> The configuration of bootsplash needs to have at least one theme
> installed, ie. when I run 'dpkg -i bootsplash.deb
> bootsplash-theme.deb' (depending on the order the packages are
> configured), it happens that bootsplash is configured before the theme
> is installed: the user has to run 'dpkg-reconfigure bootsplash' by hand.

> * Is there any possibility to force the order of
> configuration/installation when installing several packages together?

Yes:  package dependencies.

> * The other way would be to make bootsplash-theme package _not_ depend
> on bootsplash, I think it would force the theme to be installed before
> the main bootsplash package is installed, is that right? But what would
> then happen with aptitude that installs the recommended packages by
> default?

If bootsplash requires a theme to be installed in order for its postinst to
complete successfully, then bootsplash must depend on the theme and the
themes must not depend on bootsplash.

If the package's debconf config script *also* can't do the right thing
before the theme is unpacked, then the config script should exit without
attempting to set any debconf variables.