Re: Dependencies and debconf configuration

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your quick answer.

Le dimanche 25 septembre 2005 à 01:06 -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 09:38:34AM +0200, Julien Valroff wrote:
[...]
> > * Is there any possibility to force the order of
> > configuration/installation when installing several packages together?
>
> Yes:  package dependencies.
That is waht I supposed.

> > * The other way would be to make bootsplash-theme package _not_ depend
> > on bootsplash, I think it would force the theme to be installed before
> > the main bootsplash package is installed, is that right? But what would
> > then happen with aptitude that installs the recommended packages by
> > default?
>
> If bootsplash requires a theme to be installed in order for its postinst to
> complete successfully, then bootsplash must depend on the theme and the
> themes must not depend on bootsplash.
Thanks, it works, at least with dpkg (I still have to check how synaptic an aptitude behaves).
But installing a theme without installing the bootsplash utilities is
then possible, and totally useless. Don't you think this can mislead
users?

> If the package's debconf config script *also* can't do the right thing
> before the theme is unpacked, then the config script should exit without
> attempting to set any debconf variables.
I am not sure to understand what you mean. Could you please explain
again?

Cheers,
Julien