Re: pkg-config

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 22:11 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > Er... that's certainly not enforceable.
>
> > Sure it is. If they're not provided, then lintian fails
> > the package, and the sponsors refuse to upload it,
> > same as other policies.
>
> No, it's not.

Quite clearly it is perfectly *possible*
as I claimed to enforce it.

> The .pc names are set by upstream and we should not
> diverge from them,

The .pc names can be set by the Debian maintainer,
and the original .pc file ignored even if upstream provides it.

You may well be right this is not a good idea,
I'm not arguing it is. However a policy could
be made and be enforced.

In particular, at present, pkg-config is plain useless
because it isn't consistently supported.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>