Re: pkg-config

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:46:31PM +1000, skaller wrote:
> Does Debian have a policy on use of pkg-config?

> On my Ubuntu systems there are some *.pc files, but the set
> is not only incomplete .. it isn't closed either.

> Perhaps pkg-config files should be REQUIRED for Debian,
> and the package names should agree with the Debian ones?

Er... that's certainly not enforceable.

> Pkgconfig is totally useless unless it is properly supported.
> It's also not a very good program -- perhaps Debian can come
> up with something better?

Yes, pkg-config sucks.  Unfortunately, there are a number of upstreams
(e.g., GNOME) that are unlikely to be willing to make such a switch this
late in the game.

The current upstream for pkg-config is a Debian developer, even, but
he's somewhat constrained by the loopy ideas that others in the
community have about what pkg-config should be.