Re: pbuilder -- chroot and build-dependencies.

Alexander A. Vlasov wrote on 01/09/2005 16:11:
> I have to build a lot of packages for personal use by myself and I
> expirienced a very strange problem with pbuilder:

This indeed seems strange.

> Some packages requires some unusual things to build, for example, dpatch
> or ocaml. Those tools are included in build-dep in control file, but
> actually pbuilder does some stuff _before_ chrooting, so building fails
> before installing those dependencies into chroot. I surely can install
> them into the real system, but I don't want to burden it.
> How can this problem be solved? AFAIR, pbuilder is official build tool
> and I can't believe all Debian build machines has ocaml installed....

It would be quite interesting to see a log of what is happening there.
For example: How do you call pbuilder? With a .dsc file or from within
an unpacked source tree? The way the build machines would do it (AFAIK,
they use sbuild, not pbuilder) would be to use the .dsc file. If you
call it from within an unpacked source tree, I would guess that it first
does a "dpkg-buildpackage -S" (or equivalent) first, which might fail if
the build dependencies aren't met. I'm not 100% sure about this however.
Especially not without sufficient information from you (log, how do you
call it, possibly an example source).

regards,
Sven

> PS. Please CC me, I'm not on the list.