Re: RFS: python-goopy

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:40:53PM +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 04:51:51PM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > Sorry for going on and on!
>
> Don't worry. We'll be done complaining about the package soon. ;)

I am sure about that! :-)

> > What I have done is, I have prepended some info in the README with
> > install info, saying that this is part of the original package and not
> > of relevance to Debian users, as they already have it installed.
>
> You are actually patching the upstream's README file. I personally do
> not recommend changing upstream's files. Imagine what happens when the
> upstream releases a new version. You would then have to patch the new
> file, too.
>
> My suggestions is to not use/install the README file at all. It does not
> contain that much useful information anyway.
>
> - it needs python2.1 -> dependencies
> - there's documentation in... -> people look for docs in /usr/share/doc
>   anyway
> - license -> copyright file

It's gone now. However, I haven't included any README.Debian, since
the documentation shown by apt-cache show is quite alright in my view.

> Next... I believe that the build dependencies (debian/control) also need
> an entry for "python2.4-dev". And since the package is architecture
> independent it may be good to use 'Build-Depends-Indep:' instead of
> 'Build-Depends:'.

Done.

> Another detail... you might extend the description (debian/control)
> of the python2.(3|4)-goopy binary packages to read something like
> "This package provides the modules for Python 2.4".

Done that as well.

> > Then, I generate an HTML file documenting all functions available
> > using pydoc2.[34] (appropriate version), and install that into the
> > docs directory using dh_installdocs. Is this OK?
>
> Nice idea. I haven't packaged that many Python modules before. So I
> can't say if this is the common practise.

But I think you'll say it's OK here, since Google has provided a
pydoc'ed file on their website:

http://goog-goopy.sourceforge.net/goopy.functional.html

So, I thought it'd make more sense generating it from the source,
rather than copy it. If Python 2.5 has spanking changes to pydoc,
might as well have them, right?

> After building the package (preferably in "pbuilder") you should run
> lintian and linda on it. I get a couple of warnings and error messages
> there.

Sorry, I hadn't tried pbuilder earlier. I tried it now, and I must say
that the New maintainer guide must give more importance to this; it's
really great!

As for the Build-Depends-Indep, I checked out the problem myself using
pbuilder , and added python2.4-dev. Finally, I have eliminated all
lintian warnings but one; outdated standards version! I think I am
running the latest dh_make + debhelpers, and from what I gather from
the lintian info site, this isn't too serious, is it?

linda doesn't seem to complain.

So, if you tell me what final touches are needed, I can make them
quickly.

Many thanks. I just can't wait to see my package get into Debian (and
show off to my Debian loving friends!)

Kumar

--
Kumar Appaiah,