Re: predepends/depends order

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:46:34PM +0200, Sandro Dentella wrote:
> > I may be missing the problem, but as far as I understand it you want B, C,
> > and D to have Depends: A.  If they don't have it and cannot be used
> > without A, file a bug report.  If they can also be used without A then you
>
>   no! salpd as an example con live w/o my package, that depends on that.

In that case it is not your business to demand that your package is configured
before them.  Theirs can have been installed years ago.  It seems you just
want to allow people to not need to answer questions for packages which are
not yours.  I think the proper thing to do is to file a wishlist bug for them
to not ask the same question more than once (so they can store the answers and
use them all or something).  For the specific problem of preventing users from
seeing too many questions, that's not something that should be solved by
packages.  It can be solved by an install script you write, but that shouldn't
be in a package IMO.  If it must be in a package, it should be their package.
You can of course patch them (and send the maintainers the patches) by
yourself and use that.

> > About your original message: If you want to provide people with a system that
> > doesn't ask questions for which you have good defaults (for their situation),
> > you could create a script which preseeds debconf so it doesn't ask the
> > questions.  Your package should definitely not block questions in other
>
>    If I understand what preseeds mean, is just what I did. I just fill in
>    some debconf variable so that I get a chance that it will not ask for
>    that (unless they dpkg-reconfigure).
>
>    What I do is to check if the value was already set by the user, if not I
>    set a default. If the value was already answered for a package I fill in
>    with the same value into another one (eg: libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap, slapd)

That's quite ok, but it should be done by the package asking the questions, or
by something which is managing the install, such as a script which you can
write.  Don't touch questions of packages from other packages.

> > packages, as there may be people who don't like your defaults and want to
> > answer those questions.
>
>   true (they will use dpkg-reconfigure) but is very unlikely that you want
>   to say 'dc=isi,dc=org' for a package and 'dc=debian,dc=it' for another. In
>   some circumstances to place the same question more than one time is
>   puzzling. Nevertheless is not a bug, becouse there could be cases in which
>   you need different answers.

Sounds like it is a good idea for them to use each other's answers as
defaults.  Still, that's something that should be taken care of in their
package, not in some other package.

Bye,
Bas