Re: predepends/depends order

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 01:33:37PM +0200, Sandro Dentella wrote:
> hi,
>
>   I'm preparing a package that is meant to setup a PDC with ldap and samba
>   mainly for schools. The target that will use it is fairly anaware of most
>   of the quantity of things that should be configured in such a setup and I
>   don't mean to explain more than necessary.
>
>   My package (isi-ldap3) depends on a veriety of other packages (pkg1,
>   pkg2...)  that place questions via debconf, so I thought to fill debconf
>   variable (of pkgN) via a package isi-ldap3-pre) that should place very
>   simple questions and take decision that I consider "difficoult" for my
>   target (super?)user.
>
>   Should I make it as a pre-depends?
Almost certainly not.  Policy makes clear that a pre-depends is a very
special thing.

>   The problem i'm coping with wright now is that I can't understand which is
>   the order in which all the packages that my packages depends on, will be
>   configured.
If the packages on which your package depends have no
interrelationships, then I don't think you are allowed to make any
assumptions about the order in which they are unpacked or configured.

As I understand, dpkg likes to do:

  - preconfiguration of all packages, by running the "config" script
  - unpacking of all packages
  - configuration of all packages (postinst script)

Pre-Depends prevents unpacking of one package before another is
configured.

Depends is sufficient for you; Policy 7.2:

	| `Depends'
	|  This declares an absolute dependency.  A package will not be
	|  configured unless all of the packages listed in its
	|  `Depends' field have been correctly configured.

> I need to be sure that isi-ldap-pre is completely configured
>   before and other package that isi-ldap3 depends on, but reading the manual
>   I don't see a way to force an order in the installation of depended-on
>   packages.
What manual?

  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps

Justin