Re: pbuilder fails when looking for X / XOpenDisplay [solved]

On Aug  6, Rene Engelhard (rene@debian.org) wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Kevin Coyner wrote:
 > > On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 06:21:22PM +0200, Lo???c Minier wrote......
 > > >
 > > >  I suggest you try understanding what the requirements are to
 > > >  build your package, this is usually achieved by reading the
 > > >  upstream INSTALL file or better: the configure.ac/in.  You can
 > > >  then derive the needed build-deps.
 > >
 > > I was missing xlibs-dev in the Source/Build-Depends part of my
 > > control file.
 >
 > Use what you really need. It was already mentioned in this thread
 > (libx11-dev). Don't use xlibs-dev, it's superfluous and a empty
 > dummy package anyway...

I agree in principle, but that is easier said than done in some cases.  I
tried to change a build dependency in the aplus-fsf package from xlibs-dev to
libx11-dev and it failed to build under pbuilder, just like the above.  I
found some old messages that said the problem was that the autoconf macros
AC_PATH_X and AC_PATH_XTRA make assumptions that are no longer valid with the
split of all the X libs from xlibs-dev into the small components.  Has anybody
figured out how to use just libx11-dev and make these macros work?

--
Neil Roeth