pbuilder fails when looking for X / XOpenDisplay

I've just started using pbuilder to build my packages and have run
into the following error when trying to build a package:

checking for sigaction... yes
checking for strftime... yes
checking for X... no
checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: XOpenDisplay not found in -lX11
make: *** [config.status] Error 1
pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
 -> Aborting with an error
 -> unmounting dev/pts filesystem
 -> unmounting proc filesystem
 -> cleaning the build env
 -> removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//14176 and
    its subdirectories

Is there a flag or options I need to set in pbuilder for X to be
recognized?

I've build this same package using straight dpkg-buildpackage and it
does fine.  Just can't build it in pbuilder or pdebuild.

I'm using a sid based box and the pbuilder distribution is
also sid.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin