Re: Can I simulate a weak conflict?

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 08:55 -0700, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> skaller wrote:
>
> > The problem is that you CAN install a package B which declares a
> > conflict with A, and then install A, which does not declare the
> > conflict. The conflict exists, nevertheless.
>
> This isn't true.  If B is installed and B declares "Conflicts: A" then
> dpkg will refuse to install package A unless package B is removed.

Really??

> (Looking at the earlier messages in this thread, I think a
> misunderstanding caused other posters to lead you to this conclusion.)

I see .. thanks! In that case everything is fine!

> "When one binary package declares a conflict with another using a
> Conflicts field, dpkg will refuse to allow them to be installed on the
> system at the same time" (Debian Policy 7.3).

As it should be!!

> You can test this yourself to see that it works correctly.  For example,
> try to install "cfengine2" (Conflicts: cfengine) and then "cfengine".

I'll take your word for it .. in this case, why is there
a problem with the udev thing? I thought that the problem
arose from the fact this didn't work .. but now you
say that isn't the case .. then I can't understand
the original problem, and why 'no-X' package was
suggested.. :)

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>