Re: Can I simulate a weak conflict?

skaller wrote on 28/07/2005 01:18:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 01:01 +0200, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
>>As far as I know, such things already happen with conflicts: let foo
>>conflict with bar. If you install foo first, everything is fine. Later,
>>if you install bar, foo is broken by bar, while bar knows nothing about
>>foo... Where's the difference?
>

> Ouch! I see. Being a math type person I tried to see
> if there were a proper extension. However I didn't
>
> The assumption here is that Conflicts is a symmetric
> relation: if A conflicts with B, then B conflicts with A.

It can't be like that, take this example:
When X enters the archive, Y doesn't even exist yet (let alone it being
in the archive). X could be (for a real world example) lvm-common.
Now when Y (udev) enters the archive, it conflicts with lvm-common.
However: Why should a new package of lvm-common be created? It's quite
sufficient that the conflict is defined in one direction _because_ the
relation (in itself) is symmetric.

> On that assumption, apt is broken and should be fixed
> the way I suggested: if there is a conflict which
> not currently true, a no-X package should be created
> by the package manager to prevent subsequent installation.
>
> So it looks like 'no-X' is not simply needed to satisfy
> an unusal request -- it is needed to repair a fundamental
> bug in Debian.

No. It is not a bug (apt doesn't behave in an unexpected way nor does it
behave in an incorrect way). It is merely an inefficiency.

cu,
sven